This article covers how to make your initial selections in our Settings app, which lets you set up and change how your store works.
Check out this video to learn more about the Settings app, or scroll down to read a step-by-step guide!
Configure Your Settings
The first time you visit the app, you'll see an introductory paragraph of natural language that helps you configure basic store settings. Follow these steps to make your initial selections:
- Define your location. This setting determines how your store charges tax on your orders. Volusion takes care of calculation for you automatically, with accuracy down to the "rooftop" level. If your business has more than one tax nexus, don't worry; you can enter others later. If you don't want to charge taxes, simply enter "00000" in the ZIP Code field.
- Choose your payment method(s). We offer payment acceptance with PayPal Express Checkout and Stripe. You can set up one or both. Note that additional steps for your payment method selection are required. You can take care of these later at your convenience.
- Decide how you want to handle shipping. You can charge a flat shipping rate for all orders, or for all orders over a certain dollar amount. If you'd like to offer free shipping, press the first menu and select Offer free shipping. You can then decide whether it should apply to all orders, or just orders over a certain amount: if all orders, enter "0" in both fields; if only orders over a certain amount, enter the amount in the first field, and the flat shipping rate you'd like to charge for orders of lower amounts in the second field. If you don't want to offer free shipping, press the first menu and select Not offer free shipping. Then, in the second field, enter the flat shipping rate you'd like to charge for each order. If you need to adjust these settings later, or set up more advanced shipping methods based on order weights or prices, you can do so at your convenience later.
- Decide on your store name. When you first signed up, we created a default entry for this value. Now's your chance to review it and pick something special. The text you type shows up on your storefront, with the style and location controlled by your theme. This field is synchronized with the Store Name value in your Get Started app.
- When you're finished, press Configure Settings.
And that's it! From here on, whenever you visit the Settings app, you won't see the initial configuration screen.
For information about how to make additional adjustments, see the following articles: