Before you take any steps in your Volusion Dashboard, you will need to install the Discounts app for free in the App Store.
How to Access Discounts
Once installed, you can access Discounts one of two ways:
- From the Home screen, scroll down to the Installed Apps section and click Discounts.
- Select Integrations in the left-hand menu, then navigate to My Apps. Click on the Discounts app from your list of installed apps.
How to Create a New Discount
1. Once you have accessed the Discounts App, click the Add Discount button to begin configuring your Discount.
2. You will be offered a choice between a percentage or dollar discount. Make your choice using the drop down menu.
3. If you choose Percent, enter the percentage you wish to discount. You can type the value directly, or use the arrows to adjust the value. You can choose whole-number values, or values in tenths. Alternatively, if you choose Dollar, enter the dollar amount you wish to discount. You can type the value directly, or use the arrows to adjust the value. You can choose values in even dollar amounts or dollars and cents.
4. Choose whether the discount should apply to all merchandise, or just to certain products or categories. If you choose Select categories/products..., use the dialog box to select the products and categories of your choice by hovering over them and selecting the associated check boxes. You can also use the search field to type the name of a product or category and select it from the suggestions.
5. Choose whether or not a shopper must enter a code at checkout to use the discount. If you choose Will, enter a discount code consisting of letters and numbers.
6. Choose whether or not the discount has duration restrictions. If you choose Will, select “Days” or “Months” and enter the number of days or months you'd like the discount to last for. You can enter a number directly, or use the arrows to adjust the value.
7. Choose whether the discount should have a usage limit. If you choose Will, enter the number of total uses before shoppers can no longer redeem the discount. You can enter a number directly, or use the arrows to adjust the value.
8. Enter a discount name. This name will appear in your Admin Area discounts list, as well as on the storefront to shoppers on the checkout page.
9. Click the Create This Discount button to create and save your Discount.
When created, the Discount will automatically go Live. To disable a discount, toggle the "Active" slider to disable the Discount. Click Save at the top left of the page to save your changes.
Discounts list page
If you've created one or more discounts, you'll see them in a list whenever you visit the app. The list contains three tabs:
- All discounts (default)
- Active discounts
- Disabled discounts
These values correspond to selections you make in the Status section of the discount edit page. You'll see the applicable number of discounts next to each one. You'll also see the total amount of money your customers have saved by using your discounts, and the total number of uses.
In the discount list, you'll find the following values for each discount for the selected tab:
- the name
- the code
- the status
- the usage type
- the duration
For details on editing these properties, see the section below on How to edit existing coupons.
You can add a new discount by pressing the Add Discount button (the plus sign near the top right), and you can edit an existing discount by pressing the associated row.
To delete a discount from the list, press the check box next to it and then press the trashcan icon that appears above the list.
How to edit existing discounts:
At the top of the discount edit page, you can edit the discount Name. You can also change from a percent-based discount to a dollar-based discount, or vice versa, by pressing your selection and selecting the opposite: Percent (%) or Dollars ($). To set or edit your percentage or dollar value, press the text in the field and type the numbers of your choice, or use the up and down arrows to adjust. When you're finished, press Save.
You can also delete a discount by pressing the three-dot more options menu icon, selecting Remove, and confirming in the dialog box.
All new discounts you create are enabled (Live) by default. In this section of the page, you'll see a label, which changes when you activate the discount:
- Live: the discount is turned on and active; it has either an unlimited duration, or a limited duration that hasn't yet expired
- Disabled: the discount exists but isn't turned on
- Ended: the discount is turned on, but it has a limited duration that has ended
The section also tells you if there are any duration or usage restrictions, and how many orders have redeemed the discount. To turn a disabled discount on, flip the Activate toggle and press Save.
This section gives you information about which aspects of your store the discount applies. If it doesn't apply to your entire store, it shows you which specific products and categories you've selected and a product count. Add or remove selections by pressing Edit. Hover over them and select or deselect the check boxes of your choice.
You can also use the search field to type the name of a product or category and select it from the suggestions. When you're finished, press Update. Finally, on the discount edit page, press Save.
If the discount applies to your entire store already, you can access the product and category selection features by deselecting Apply discount to entire store. You can also select the Apply discount to entire store check box to clear your product and / or category selection(s). To confirm, press Save.
How to Turn Your Discount Into a Coupon
By default, all active discounts apply in all cases that meet your discount settings. To turn your discount into a coupon that requires the shopper to input a code on the shopping cart page, select Discount requires code and enter text in the field that appears. When you're finished, press Save.
Now, the shopper must enter the coupon code during checkout to activate the discount. For more information, see "Discounts App: Storefront Coupon Redemption".
How to Set a Minimum Quantity Requirement
If you don't want your discount to apply to your entire store, you can set minimum quantity conditions. Select Discount requires a minimum quantity and enter the quantity in the field provided. To change existing requirements, edit the field as you like. To remove quantity restrictions, deselect the check box. When you're finished, press Save.
If your discount has an unlimited duration, you can use this section to set a duration. If your discount has a limited duration, you can use this section to edit it. Text at the top will tell you when the discount ends, if applicable.
Deselect Unlimited duration to set duration terms, or select it and press Save to remove existing duration terms. To choose or edit duration terms, press the calendar icon and select the date of your choice. You can optionally edit the time by pressing the clock icon. When you're finished, press OK. Finally, press Save on the discount edit page.
The green section on the left shows the hour, minute, and AM / PM distinction. To change from AM to PM or vice versa, press the option you'd like to switch to. The selected option is the one in bold text. To edit the hour, make sure the hour on the left is in bold. If it isn't, press it.
To proceed, either press the hand and rotate it to the hour of your choice (you can then edit the minute by clicking the minute text on the left), or you can press the hour of your choice directly (and the clock will then automatically switch to minute editing mode). Rotating the hand will only allow full number selections.
To edit the minute, make sure the minute on the left is in bold. If it isn't, press it.
You can either press the hand and rotate it to the minute of your choice, or you can press the 5-minute increment of your choice directly (and the clock will then automatically switch to hour editing mode). In order to set a minute that's not an increment of 5, you have to press and rotate the hand.
When you're finished, press OK. Finally, press Save on the discount edit page.
If your discount has no usage limitations, you can set limitations here, or edit them if they already exist. Text at the top tells you how many uses are left, if applicable. To set usage limitations, select Limit total number of uses. To remove existing limitations, deselect it and save.
To add or edit the number of times customers can redeem the discount, click in the Total usage limit field and enter the number of your choice, or use the arrows to adjust the number. When you're finished, press Save. The Number of times used field keeps a tally of the redemption activity so you can verify the total that displays next to the Remaining uses designation at the top right.
Finally, you can also limit the number of times an individual customer can use your discount. Select Limit number of uses per customer, then enter the desired number value in the Per customer limit field. When you're done, click Save.
For further information about discounts, see: