VOLT lets you import many products at once using a spreadsheet. Check out the video below to learn how, or scroll down to read a step-by-step guide.
Importing Products to VOLT
Open the Products feature to add products to your store. If you don't have any products in your store yet, press the Import Products option on your empty products list page. If you've already added at least one product, you can access the option by clicking the Import button located at the top right of the Product List page.
Formatting Your Spreadsheet
To format your spreadsheet correctly, click Download our sample template CSV template to save the template to your computer.
Use the template as a guide to fill out your product information. CSV files can be opened with spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. See our importing guide for detailed explanations of each column in the template spreadsheet.
Importing Your Products
Once your spreadsheet is ready, drag it into the drop zone, or click Choose File and locate it on your device. Click the Import button to start your Product import.
When your import is complete, you'll see a success message appear at the top right.
Guidelines and Tips
A few things to keep in mind:
- Import files must be saved with a .csv file extension.
- The maximum file size is 5MB. If you have more data than that, split your products into multiple smaller files.
- All columns are required in the order they appear in the template document, but the only columns that require values for all rows are "Key", "Product Name", and "Price".
- Cells in some rows accept more than one value, such as "Category", "Image URL", and "Image Alt Text". Separate multiple values with commas (no spaces).
- To signify a subcategory, use the "/" character. Don't use spaces before or after. Volusion allows up to one subcategory per category.
- The "Key" value is the unique identifier for each main product and is required for all entries. Reuse a main product's key to indicate variants.
- At this time, you can't use importing to update data on existing products. Trying to do so will result in duplicates. If you'd like to import an updated version of the product, be sure to delete the previous version.
- If you encounter errors, valid entries in your file will still import. To avoid duplicates, delete any successful imports from your store or from your CSV before importing again.
- Consult our Product Importing Spreadsheet Guideline for more information on required fields.