URL redirects are an essential part of SEO maintenance for your site. When you need to move content to a new page, Volusion's URL Redirects feature lets you point the old or deprecated URL to a new URL, ensuring that the page retains existing SEO value.
With URL Redirects, you can:
- Create, remove and edit URL redirects individually and in bulk
- Review success, warning, and error results from bulk imports
- Get guidance from our URL selector when choosing a new URL for your redirect (ensures accuracy and reduces error from manual input)
- Automatically deactivate the old URLs you're redirecting
How to Create URL Redirects
To get started, visit your Settings app by clicking the Settings icon on the Left Nav Menu of your site's Dashboard.
Locate and click the SEO tab in the top menu.
In the URL Redirects section at the bottom of the page, click Manage URL Redirects.
From here, you can choose to create redirects manually (Add A Redirect) or in bulk (Import Redirects).
Add An Individual Redirect
To add URL redirects one at a time, click Add A Redirect. On the left, enter the relative (source) URL for the page you'd like to redirect. On the right, enter the new page you want it to redirect to.
OLD URL: /p/2019-socks
The Old URL is a page that no longer exists on our store.
NEW URL: /p/holiday-christmas-socks
The New URL is a page that exists on our store.
The URL Selector makes it easy to enter relative URLs and select New URLs from existing pages in your store. This helps reduce errors and ensures that traffic is redirected to a page that actually exists.
Once you've entered any individual URL redirects you want to create, click Save Changes.
Migrating URLs from an Existing Store
If you're migrating to Volusion and concerned about losing SEO value, URL Redirects will provide new routes for any site traffic, from search bots to store customers.
Add Redirects In Bulk
If you have a lot of redirects to create (such is the case when migrating from another platform), you may find it easier to import a spreadsheet with a list of values.
To upload in bulk:
- Click Import Redirects and download our sample CSV file.
- Open the CSV file in a spreadsheet editing program, such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
- In the Old URL column, enter the old URL that you want to redirect elsewhere. Make sure to use relative URLs in this column, just as the sample indicates.
- In the New URL column, enter the URL for the new page you want to redirect to. The New URL can be a relative URL or a fully qualified domain name.
- Once you've listed each corresponding pair of old and new URLs, save your file as a CSV (make sure that the original column headings are still in place!).
- Drag your CSV file into the URL redirect Import window. Once the file uploads, you'll see your results displayed in an import summary. You can also view each line in the import report.