Millions of people use credit and debit cards every day to buy goods and services, but few understand how this process works. In this guide, we'll explain everything in detail so you can learn the part you play as an online business owner.
We'll teach you what you need to know, including how money moves from the cardholder to you, and how a payment gateway fits in.
Points to Keep in Mind
If you're an online merchant, keep the following in mind:
- To accept credit and debit card payments online, you need a merchant account with a payment processing service and a payment gateway.
- For the right to process card payments, you can expect to pay standard monthly and / or per-transaction fees, and a percentage of all card-based sales.
- You can use any payment processing service that works with one of the gateways currently integrated with Volusion.
- Before you capture funds, you're responsible for looking over transactions for signs of fraud.
- Always check out the transaction details and CVC responses before capturing funds.
Return to Part 4: Credit Card Fraud